RCA Reflection

In the writing process of the researched critical analysis, there were a few course learning outcomes that were accomplished that helped me write the paper. One of the man course learning outcomes was to compose texts that integrate your stance with appropriate sources using strategies such as summary, critical analysis, interpretation, synthesis, and argumentation. The biggest thing that helped me achieve this course learning outcome was arguing a position. In order to successfully argue my position in the paper, it was important to use the right sources in a way that helped strengthen my argument. It was also important to find a counter argument and to be able to use and acknowledge that counter argument in my paper. In achieving this course learning outcome, it also helped me to evolve my original topic—which was very broad—into a topic that was much more manageable. Another course learning outcome that was achieved was to explore and analyze, in writing and reading, a variety of genres and rhetorical situations. I had a few different types of sources, such as journal entries, news articles, and scholarly papers, and it was important to be able to effectively understand and use each of my sources in my paper in order to strengthen my argument. It was also helpful to write the annotated bibliography before I started working on the researched critical analysis, as the annotated bibliography helped me understand when and how I should incorporate my sources into my paper in the most effective manner. A third course learning outcome that was achieved in the writing process was to locate research sources (including academic journal articles, magazine and newspaper articles) in the library’s databases or archives and on the Internet and evaluate them for credibility, accuracy, timeliness, and bias. It was hard to find sources that helped support my topic, but the sources I did find helped me refine my topic into a more manageable topic. It was important to find sources that helped support my topic, so using the library sources in order to find credible and accurate sources was key.